Saturday January 12th, I had the joy of photographing Ben & Vanessa Fontana’s (not to mention she was the runner up on Paris Hilton’s show my new BFF) engagement pictures at Malibu State Park. It was the perfect day, although it was a tad chilly when we were not in the sun, but for the most part PERFECT! We chose to shoot later in the day to create a more romantic feel, plus the sun coming through the trees created some STUNNING light so we could create some STUNNING photos for these to love birds to cherish forever. They love everything vintage & modern so we had a good mix of the two with their choice of a vintage picnic. These two also love the beach and watching the sunset, so what better way to end their session then to venture off a few miles away to the beautiful El Matador Beach along the PCH in Malibu for some great and fabulous beach shots. It was a pleasure spending the afternoon with these two, they are crazy in love and so excited for their July wedding! I couldn’t be more happier for them! Congratulations 🙂
The Top 9 Bride Must-Haves
1. Comfortable shoes: One of the most essential bride must-haves is comfortable shoes. And if you’re insistent on those pretty, but painful four-inch heels, bring along another pair of more comfortable shoes for the after party – some simple flats or flip flops will do the trick!
2. Breathable gown: Much like your shoes, one of the best bride must-haves is a wedding dress that moves with you. A constricting dress will make you cringe as much as those shoes do, and tugging and jerking the fabric will damage it, not to mention alert everyone to the fact that you’re extremely uncomfortable. Try your dress on beforehand. When trying it on at the shop, if it feels too tight, then your wedding day will be no different. Move around and get a feel for the dress to ensure that you are at ease on your big day.
3. Waterproof mascara: One of my favorite wedding tips is to wear waterproof mascara to combat the ‘raccoon look.’ Wearing waterproof mascara on your wedding day will keep your makeup looking fresh, and you’ll rest assured that you have no smudges to worry about.
4. Long-lasting lipstick: From eating to kissing, your lipstick has many opportunities to fade or smear away. Before deciding on one brand or color, try it out for a while. And make sure you pack the tube of lipstick in your ‘bride must-haves’ bag!
5. Durable antiperspirant: Whether your dress is sleeveless or not, antiperspirant that stands the test of time is an absolute necessity. You want to stay clean, fresh, and sweet-smelling throughout the ceremony and reception, and one of the many wedding tips that experts suggest is to use long-lasting antiperspirant.
6. Small compact mirror: Throughout the ceremony and reception, you’ll be relieved that you had your little compact mirror on hand.
7. Aspirin or Ibuprofen: Headaches happen. And so do aching limbs – usually at the most inopportune times. Even if you don’t need it, someone else just might.
8. Stain removal pen: You can find these handy, little pens everywhere. Plus, they’re small enough to be tucked into your cocktail purse filled with your other ‘bride must-haves.
9. Hairbrush/comb: Tame those frizzies and stay beautiful throughout the day. Another of my favorite wedding tips is to purchase a fold-up brush, which is ideal for a small purse with precious space. A quick dab of lipstick and one or two brushes through your hair will have you ready to meet and greet with guests.
I had the absolute pleasure of shooting Carmelo & Neha’s May 25th wedding! I had such a great time with these two, not only because they are so down to earth and laid back (which made the day even more fun!) BUT because I have known these two for the past 8 years! We all use to work at Abercrombie & Fitch back in the day. So for Neha to ask me to shoot her wedding, I was absolutely stoked about it and of course I could NOT say no! They did not even mind flying me in from California! Awesome!! 🙂 I loved everything about this wedding from their bridal party (who by the way were so RAD), to the hall, to the decorations & centerpieces. Everything was just beautiful! Something that was really different about this wedding that I really loved, was the India flare. Because Neha is Indian, they had some great indian traditions that took place such as the clothes they wear (Neha even changed) to the music, and dancing! It was an all around GREAT day, and I am so glad I was able to be part of the whole thing! Much thanks to Carmelo & Neha for entrusting me to photograph their special day 🙂
Passion For Makeup
“Maribel Hernandez is a freelance make-up artist based in Los Angeles, CA. She obtained formal make-up training at Makeup Designory School in Burbank, CA. She provides professional makeup services for weddings, special events, and photography. She enjoys the process of enhancing women’s natural beauty through various makeup techniques tailored for each person’s needs. She especially loves working with brides and is dedicated to creating the exact look they desire. This starts with discussing what look a bride has in mind as well as looking at pictures to find the perfect look for their wedding day.”
Maribel Hernandez – Make-Up Artist